Friday, March 11, 2011

Third Day weighs in

Often one of my favorite forms of personal worship and focus on my faith is through music. And sometimes I think the Holy Spirit speaks to me through the words of a song played at just the right time, when I need it most.


One of those moments occurred last night as I played Third Day's "Revelation" album on my iPod in the car on my way home from work. The first track, "This Is Who I Am," contains the following lyrics (notes in italics are mine and not part of the song):

I'm a son of a good man (Love you, Dad!)
I'm the child of an angel (You too, Mom!)
I'm the brother of a wild one (Well, not as wild now as he used to be, though maybe this refers to my little sister ;>})
And I'm looking for direction (Aren't we all?)
I'm the lover of a beauty (That's certainly true. Love you, Melissa!)
I'm the father of blessings (Also true -- more than I can ever say)
I'm a singer of a love song (Not even close -- you DO NOT want to hear me sing!)
But is that all I'm good for?

This is who I am
This is who I am
So take me and make me something so much more
This is who I am
This is who I am
So change me and make me someone better than before

I'm a saint and a sinner (More the latter than the former)
I'm a lover and a fighter (More the former than the latter)
I'm a true believer, with great desire
I'm a preacher of grace, prophet of love, teacher of truth
I've fallen down so many times (Lotta truth in this song, isn't there?)
But here I stand in front of you

Take me as I am
But please don't leave me that way
'Cause I know that you can make me better than I am today (I certainly hope so!)

As we journey together through Lent, I know that God accepts us where we are, but I pray that the Lord continues his good work on all of us. I know he's far from done with me!

Blessings as you head into the weekend, and may God grant you Sabbath rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment