Saturday, March 19, 2011

Making time to rest

(Part 2 of three parts about slowing down and getting some much-needed rest)


It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep. -- Psalm 127:2

As I write these words, I have been up since 5:15 a.m. and am starting to feel the effects of a long, but productive day.

After (mostly) getting over the unnatural hour I had to rise on a Saturday morning, I had the pleasure of traveling two hours in a van with four members of my church family to our annual Wyoming Sub-district Conference in Douglas. It was a good learning experience for the group, plus I got to see several people I have become friends with through several years of conference involvement.

On the trip to Douglas I prepared to lead our youth group devotionals tomorrow, and on the way home (while someone else fought the Wyoming wind and drove the van; thanks, Dave!), I proofread the second draft of my wife's master's prospectus. Since arriving home around 5 p.m., I have discussed the paper with Melissa, had dinner with my family and written several church newsletter articles about upcoming activities.

Not bad, right? Yet it seems like there's still so much left undone.

But I told myself I would try hard during this Lenten season to actually honor the Sabbath and take a day of rest each weekend during this 40-day period. I already failed in that promise last weekend, but after a full day today, I plan to try to honor it tomorrow. (More about Sabbath rest tomorrow afternoon.)

Time to live out the words of the first verse of a hymn we sang during worship in Douglas this morning, "Come and Find the Quiet Center:"

Come and find the quiet center in the crowded life we lead,
find the room for hope to enter, find the frame where we are freed:
Clear the chaos and the clutter, clear our eyes that we can see
all the things that really matter, be at peace, and simply be.

Here's to one day of rest out of seven -- not just for me, but for all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment