Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Don't ever stop planting

One of the things that surprise some people about my background is that I grew up on a farm. I'm not really sure why this information comes as such a shock to those folks -- maybe it's because I "dress up" for my office job. I really can't explain it. (I even had to go so far as to bring my blue FFA denim jacket to work once to prove to a copy editor that I was president of my high-school chapter!)

Through my years on the farm, I saw my parents struggle through hard financial times more often than good ones. But they never gave up. Every spring, Dad would get on the tractor, hitch up the planter and head into the fields to sow alfalfa, corn or wheat seeds. Even after hail had damaged the alfalfa seed the year before, or prices dropped and the good harvest he stored up wasn't worth what he'd hoped, he'd get back on the tractor and head out again.

I wouldn't have blamed him in the least if he had thrown up his hands and said, "This is not worth it." But he loved what he did and held out hope that each growing season would be better than the last -- both in terms of harvest yields and financial gain.

Now he and Mom are retired and finally able to enjoy a bit more of the finer things in life. I couldn't be happier for them! (Can't wait to ride in the first brand-new vehicle they ever bought when I see them this summer!)

 
But as I read Luke 8:1-15 and Jesus' Parable of the Sower (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+8&version=NIV) and think back on those years growing up, I can't help but wonder whether I would have had the intestinal fortitude to stick it out the way they did. I'm one of those people who could never be self-employed because I need the assurance of a regular paycheck and the ability to pay the bills with that money.

And although the main lesson I learned on the farm was the importance of hard work, I tend to struggle when adversity really hits (though I have been blessed to not experience serious hardships so far in my life's journey). More often than not, I am the pessimistic voice in conversations about finances who foresees the worst-case scenario and wants to plan for that eventuality. Trust is not my strong suit.

But I learn from Jesus' parable that I need to focus on his Word and stick with it until there's a "harvest," which I interpret to mean holding onto my beliefs and principles throughout my life. Of course, like all people of faith, I have questioned what I believe from time to time. But throughout my married life, circumstances have come up time and again that reaffirmed my belief that God has a plan for my life and will take care of me through all of life's struggles. If I put my trust in God, He won't let me down.

Sure, there will be some unhappy days. There will be some trials and tribulations. But as long as I keep focused on His will for my life, I will get through all of those challenges.

The other lesson of the parable is that we all need to sow seeds through spreading the Word of God. Maybe this blog is one way I can do that. Sharing my faith with our youth group at church every Sunday is another. Surely there are other opportunities that I need to watch out for, including my daily interactions with people.

I'm certainly no John the Baptist, Billy Graham or Rick Warren; few of us are. But the lesson seems clear: Just as my dad never quit growing crops, we need to keep planting our own seeds of faith. Sure, some will fall on the road, some in the gravel and some in the weeds. But those that fall in the "good earth" will make it worth all that work.

Don't give up. Don't ever stop planting.

No comments:

Post a Comment