Tuesday, March 15, 2011

That horrible six-letter word

One six-letter word strikes more fear in the hearts of humans than any other.

No, it's not S-N-A-K-E-S, though that's probably a close second. Its' C-H-A-N-G-E.



I'll be the first to admit that I'm a creature of habit. I love it to be comfortable. I don't like to be challenged in most aspects of my life.

But, of course, there's nothing we can do to stop change from happening. That was abundantly clear throughout 2010 as I watched one staff member after another leave our newsroom for a variety of personal and work-related reasons.

I look around our newsroom today and see a lot of new faces. In the past, this fact might have struck fear in my heart. But as I grow older, I find myself more open to change as just a fact of life. And, in fact, the new faces and fresh perspectives on our staff can be quite refreshing. It's fun to see things through fresh eyes (especially events like Cheyenne Frontier Days, which changes very little from year to year).

I have my wife and mother-in-law to thank most for this new perspective. Right after we got married in 1993, my wife's job took us across the country to New York state. And since we moved to Cheyenne in 1998, we've lived in two different houses, including our current shared relationship with my mother-in-law, Linda, who always challenges me (in a good way) to think about life as a series of challenges, not obstacles.

Life is easier to deal with -- much less stressful -- when I roll with the change, rather than fighting it all the time.

Now if only I could get over that fear of snakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment