Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Life is a series of priorities



On tap for today's lunch hour: Write a blog post, read a set of articles provided by my boss in advance of tomorrow's managers training and read the rough drafts of two pieces of a long-term enterprise project.

Assuming I successfully complete all three of these tasks in the next hour or so, there will still be 11 items on my current work "to do" list. And those are just the immediate tasks that need to be completed in the next few days.

Handwritten on the next sheet of the same tablet is my "to do" list for the upcoming weekend. At this point, it contains six items that I want to complete Saturday, since I'm trying to keep Sundays free. (Top of the list: Clean our storage shed with my mother-in-law, since the forecast calls for a high of 66 degrees. Of course, it is spring in Cheyenne, so that may slip down the priority list.)

In addition to these two lists, I have a Word file in my computer that's broken down into "Work," "Personal" and "Church/Youth group/Board of Ordained Ministry" lists. Each of those "to do" lists is broken into short-term and long-term categories.

None of these lists ever go away, of course -- they just change from time to time as I complete certain tasks and add others that need to be done. Which could really frustrate a Type-A person like me, except I've come to view these lists from a different perspective in recent years: Instead of being upset that I never seem to get rid of the need for "to do" lists, I have come to realize that when the lists go away, maybe I should too. Maybe the lists are just a written representation of my life's work and why I am here. And if that's true, when the lists are empty, what more is there for me to do? (Of course, that's not literally true, but it's an interesting thought, right?)

Another thing I've come to realize as I've gotten older is that to stay on top of all the tasks on those lists, the key ingredient is doing the truly important things first, not just staying busy. After all, life is just a series of priorities, isn't it?

When I got up this morning, I asked myself: Do I go to the gym for a second consecutive lunchtime today, or do I stay at the office and get some extra work done? Both are important, and now you know which way I decided. But that one wasn't too difficult.

What about when it comes to how we spend our "free" time? Do we while away the hours watching meaningless TV, or do we volunteer some of that time with an organization whose mission matches our values? Or do we play a card game with our kids (like I did Sunday evening after writing about the time suck of electronic devices)?

Or how about what we do with "our" money (though it all came from God, so it's not really ours)? Do we waste it on (insert your personal vice here; mine is media -- DVDs, CDs, magazines, etc.), or do we give some of it to those in need?

I know I'm not alone in any of this. All busy people have "to do" lists. Some are just better at prioritizing the items on those lists than others. How are you doing at it?

Anyone blessed to have any "expendable" income beyond the money required to buy food and provide shelter faces the question of how to spend it. It's not my place to judge your choices; that's between you and God. Do you think you're making wide decisions?

Just some food for thought. Have fun setting your priorities! Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some reading to do.

1 comment: