Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lenten reflections, Day 1

Originally written on Wednesday, March 9, Ash Wednesday:

Ash Wednesday: Time to give up the fast food for the next 44 days and add daily spiritual reflection time. As I asked my youth group this past Sunday what they were giving up and adding, I told them I would do it, so here goes.

But why do I have to give something up, anyway? About.com's Christianity page says "Lent is a time when many Christians prepare for Easter by observing a period of fasting, repentance, moderation and spiritual discipline."

Giving up fast food is far from fasting (though it might feel more like it by the end of April). I need to eat healthier and in moderation more anyway. And right after watching Morgan Spurlock's "Super Size Me" documentary in mid-February, I made a conscious effort to start watching what and how much I eat. So it's not much of a sacrifice. Plus, I can use the money I save to pay down some debt.

Yet I still long for those McDonald's french fries and Dairy Queen's Peanut Buster Parfaits from time to time. How will it be when I "can't" have them instead of voluntarily staying away from them?

But what about adding daily spiritual reflection time? When am I going to squeeze that in?

How about early morning before I go to work? No good. I'm a natural night owl, so I prefer to stay up later and get up later.

How about at lunchtime? That's what I'm doing today following a webinar at work. Since I can't get to the gym to work out today anyway, might as well type while I eat, right? (God, why did you create the concept of "multitasking"?)

Maybe after work? Possibly, but I often work past 7 p.m., have a night meeting at church or simply want some family time and then couch/TV time with my wife before falling asleep.

But isn't that selfish? If God's supposed to be my best friend and is always with me, doesn't he want me to give Him some time too? (Wait, I'm Methodist, not Catholic, so why do I feel so guilty?)

Add these thoughts to the fact that I have tried for years (unsuccessfully, of course) to set aside Sundays as true Sabbaths -- days when I don't "work" in the traditional sense. Days that aren't driven by "To do" lists and the hustle and bustle that the other six days contain. Days that aren't filled with church paperwork or work e-mails or thoughts of projects still unfinished.

Luke 10:38-42 says: "Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, 'Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.' But the Lord answered her, 'Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her."

How come I identify so strongly with Martha in this story? Is it my firstborn nature? My Type A personality? I WANT to sit in my big red reading chair and while away the hours lost in one of the dozens of books on my bookcases. So why can't I do it?

Lord, help me be a bit more like Mary this Lenten season and a little less like Martha. Maybe, just maybe, I can develop some habits that will go beyond the next 44 days.

Giving up fast food might turn out to be the easy part.
Or maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment