Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Putting our Lenten "sacrifices" in perspective

As I said when I started this blog 42 days ago, I decided this year to give up fast food for Lent and add daily spiritual reflection time. The former hasn't been that much of a struggle (although it required me to think ahead yesterday morning to make sure I brought both lunch and dinner to work with me, since I wasn't going to be home last night).

The latter has meant making time each day to sit down at a computer, reflect on some piece of Scripture or relate some recent event in my life to my spiritual beliefs.

What have I given up in exchange for this time? A bit more family time, since I often wrote my blog post at the office after work before going home. Some TV or reading time, since I wrote both weekend days too. Some time at the fitness center on days (like today) that I chose to stay at work and write over lunch rather than working out.

All in all, I would guess I've spent about 20 to 25 hours total over the Lenten season on this blog. Is that a lot or not much?

Well, I've spent more time asleep in the past four days than I have in spiritual reflection over the last five weeks. I've certainly still watched much more television over that time span. And I've spent more time doing a list of other chores and recreational activities during the same time frame than I have spent blogging.

So neither giving up fast food nor spending 20 to 30 minutes each day in reflection and writing were much of a sacrifice, right? Certainly not compared to the ultimate sacrifice Jesus made for all of us on the cross. (My friend Jimbo gave up coffee at my daughter's suggestion, and though he has probably cursed her name daily since taking the bait, I know he agrees that switching to tea for 46 days isn't too much of a sacrifice, either. Still, he's a stronger man than I am.)

Yet my "To do" lists are still long, and as I sit writing this and eating lunch at the same time, I feel like I should be editing a big project for work instead of spending a half-hour doing this. Why is that? (Best not to jump down that guilt-ridden rabbit hole right this minute!)



Even President Obama, surely one of the busiest humans on the planet, kept things in perspective during his second annual Easter prayer breakfast at the White House this morning. Quoting the Associated Press story:

Pausing to observe Holy Week amid war and policy struggles, President Barack Obama said Tuesday that the agony of Jesus Christ through death and resurrection puts mere political struggle "in perspective."

Obama said "critical national debates" are raging, and "my plate has been full as well. The inbox keeps accumulating. But then comes Holy Week ...

"As busy as we are, as many tasks as pile up, during this season, we are reminded that there is something about the resurrection ... of Our Savior Jesus Christ that puts everything else in perspective."

Thank you, Mr. President, for the reminder that even as busy as you are, and as many seemingly impossible tasks as you and other national leaders face right now, it's still important to keep all things in perspective.

And none of us is too busy to stop for a few minutes during this holiest of weeks and thank God and Jesus for the much larger sacrifices they made on our behalf.

No comments:

Post a Comment