Monday, April 18, 2011

Do we really need this "calm before the storm"?

It's Monday of Holy Week: What's going on in the story of Jesus' journey to the cross?

A couple of things -- one of which shows that Jesus has a temper -- but I would argue not much in the overall scheme of things.


As Jesus returns to Jerusalem in the morning, he sees a fig tree, goes to it because he is hungry, finds no figs there and then curses it. Later, he overturns the tables of the moneychangers and clears the temple in anger over his father's house of prayer being turned into a "den of robbers."

The first story is revisited briefly Tuesday morning, but it's the second one that carries more significance and has been remembered and repeated more often by clergy and laity through the years.

Still, when either of these events is compared to the Passover meal and the lessons shared there, Jesus' garden prayer, his trial and crucifixion, and his resurrection, they seem pretty insignificant.

So what are we to make of this relative calm before the storm? It's a chance for us to pause, reflect on what has happened so far and get ready for the rapid-fire activity to come at the end of the week.

I occasionally wish I had more opportunities to enjoy a "calm before the storm." Yet that's not always possible. Sometimes my schedule is so frenetic that I end up running from one thing to the next without much of a chance to catch my breath.

Such was my schedule of activities yesterday. I went from home to the grocery store to buy snacks for youth group. From the store to the busyness of a youth group meeting that included filling 360 plastic eggs with candy in preparation for Sunday's Easter egg hunt. From youth group to get Marie at the assisted living facility and bring her to church. From handing off a note to Rev. Sandi before service started to the nursery to hang out with two youth and an adorable baby, plus adding more donated candy to additional donated eggs and candy bags. From the nursery to counting money with our financial secretary. From counting money to taking Marie home. From there back to church to make sure we were set up for hosting family promise this week. From church to the library to return a book and check out a CD. From the library to the house for a quick bite of lunch before heading to the gym with Sydney.

All in all, almost seven hours of seemingly nonstop activity. Yet it was only when I returned from the gym yesterday afternoon and sat down to write my daily blog post that I realized maybe I really don't enjoy the calm before (or after) the storm. I seem to thrive on the chaos and tumult of life's activities and don't know what to do with myself if I have too much time to just sit and "be."

Oh sure, I enjoy quiet reading time -- for about 15 to 30 minutes. Then I'm either asleep or antsy to get up and do something else. And while I enjoy a "serious" film from time to time, I still gravitate toward the big-budget, special effects-driven sci-fi and action movies (which means my favorite movie season of the year is almost here -- SUMMER -- YAY!).

At this point, we have two more "down days" of Holy Week before Maundy Thursday gets here and the action really begins. I'm ready for the next exciting chapter of the story ... let's go!

No comments:

Post a Comment